Welcome back returning listeners and welcome aboard to new ones!
This is a new episode of Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things
mp3 (audio file)
Season #4 Re-watch continues! Today, John Marius and I discuss Ep #3, “Breaker of Chains.”
While still a great episode of TV, this was probably my least favorite episode of the season. This episode took a deep breath after last weeks fireworks and really covered the immediate reactions to the cosmic death that ended the last episode.
Here’s whats on the docket today:
1. Lessons of the Holy – Arya learns a new lesson…at the expense of an idealistic farmer and his daughter…what does this mean for her ongoing personal journey?
2. Lessons of the Just – Sam is motivated by honor and in an effort to protect Gilly’s honor…but this desire blinds him to certain…practical realities.
3. Lessons of the Strong – In many ways, Stannis Baratheon is as strong as is brother Robert…they were both strong-willed and stubborn…bulls in a china shop. This may win battles and arguments, but it doesn’t lend itself to long-term success.
4. Lessons of the Wise – Both Jon and Dany have grown up quite a bit in the last 3+ years. They used that experience in their current situations in this episode. Sometimes, wisdom is thinking outside the box!
5. Lessons of Upheaval – The King is dead! But long live the repercussions of Joffrey’s demise. We check in with many of our characters in the immediate aftermath of Joff’s exit and see a kaliedoscope of emotions and attitudes.
6. Best Scene / Line / MVP
7. Snaps and Hated It’s
Thanks for stopping by…appreciate it.
This was an essential pause in the action for the story. After such a big death, we needed to catch our breaths. There were provocative and affecting character beats throughout this episode.
See ya next week!