mp3 (Audio file)
“Only The Good Die Young.”
Today, John Marius and I discuss Season#4, Episode #2 of Game of Thrones!
“The Lion and The Rose”
This episode is named after the GREAT darkly comical and sardonic Billy Joel song, and couldn’t be a better title for the long awaited send-off of everyone’s most hated young king…Joffrey Baratheon.
We’ve been waiting a long time for this, and the show did not disappoint. The wedding and death of one of the most hated characters in TV history was a spectacle! Dense, funny, dramatic and even a little sad and tragic.
There were other things going on in this episode, but we will always remember the brauva 20 min sequence that ended this fantastic hour of television.
Here’s what on the docket today:
1. The Dark Mirror Image of Jon Snow and Ned Stark – The Boltons…a twisted father and son
2. The Fluidity of Indentity – Theon Greyjoy has now fully become “Reek.” Identity and its flexibility are a major theme of the story…Reek represents the darkest angle of that theme
3. The Pro’s and Con’s of Testing Your Abilities – Bran Stark is discovering great powers…what is the possible cost of this?
4. The Bonds of Brotherhood – The Lannister Bros are a unique relationship in GoT. They have a healthy, loving and loyal realtionship.
5. Little Pleasures and Displeasures – The wedding extravaganza was epic and intimate all at the same time. Filled with countless cross currents of both negative and positive energy.
6. The Fall of Joffrey Baratheon – This is the moment we’ve all been waiting for! Joffrey finally falls…but not before taking one last victory lap of horribleness.
7. Best Scene / Line / MVP
8. A New Segment! I do my fun take on “In Living Color’s” long running skit, “Men on Film” and transpose it to this episode of GoT!
Hope you enjoyed our discussion.
It was a pretty great hour of TV!